Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodian returns home after 12 years allegedly stuck in Saudi Arabia

Cambodian returns home after 12 years allegedly stuck in Saudi Arabia

Ministry of Labour Undersecretary of State Osthman Hassan (right) speaks to the press on Monday night after Maari Sanaa (second left) returned home after 12 years in Saudi Arabia.
Ministry of Labour Undersecretary of State Osthman Hassan (right) speaks to the press on Monday night after Maari Sanaa (second left) returned home after 12 years in Saudi Arabia. Fresh News

Cambodian returns home after 12 years allegedly stuck in Saudi Arabia

Maari Sanaa, a Cham Muslim woman from Kampong Thom province, returned home on Monday night after spending 12 years apparently stranded in Saudi Arabia. Earlier this month Maari Sanaa posted a Facebook video plea from Riyadh saying she had not spoken to her family in more than a decade and did not know how to reach them.

“Please help me. I came here 12 years ago. I cannot come back to Cambodia and I have no Khmer people to help make me a passport,” she said in the video, claiming the company that sent her there had ‘cheated’ her and withheld her salary.

Cambodia has established a memorandum of understanding to open a pipeline of domestic workers to the Gulf state, though it has yet to go into effect.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for