Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia's first Oscar nomination

Cambodia's first Oscar nomination

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Oscar nominated director Rithy Panh during an interview with the Post last year after success at the Canne film festival. Koam Chanrasmey

Cambodia's first Oscar nomination

Cambodia is going to the Oscars.

Director Rithy Panh’s The Missing Picture, shortlisted for the honour late last month with eight other films, has been chosen as one of the five nominees for the Academy Award for best foreign-language film.

The Missing Picture, which in May earned the top prize in the Cannes Film Festival’s Un Certain Regard section, employs a mixture of miniature clay figures and archival footage in recounting Panh’s experiences and memories of the Khmer Rouge period.

“I’m very happy for me and happy for Cambodia,” he told the Post late yesterday evening, just moments after learning of his nomination via an SMS from a friend in the US.

“It’s a good moment for all of us. We’ve had many problems, and sometimes good news like this can make people feel proud of their country.”

Panh added that the nomination – Cambodia’s first ever – showed the talent of craftsmen working in the local filmmaking industry. “Now people know where we are,” he laughed.

Picture will face off with Denmark’s The Hunt, Italian entry The Great Beauty, Belgium’s The Broken Circle Breakdown and Palestinian effort Omar.

The 86th annual Academy Awards take place on March 2.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials