Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambrew case against worker reps partly dismissed

Cambrew case against worker reps partly dismissed

Villagers gather near a tyre that was set alight last week during a protest to express their anger at being left in the dark about a new railway project in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district.
Local worker representative Khem Mao (left) and food and service unionist Sar Mora at the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court on Friday. Leonie Kijewski

Cambrew case against worker reps partly dismissed

A $60,000 complaint against worker representatives by a local brewery partly owned by Carlsberg was largely dismissed on Friday by the Sihanoukville Provincial Court, though one of the defendants was still ordered to pay compensation to the company.

In a five-minute court hearing, Judge Keo Mony announced that “the court orders Mr Khem Mao to pay $3,000 to the beer company Cambrew, referring to the president of the local Democratic Workers Union of Angkor Beer Company. Mony, however, rejected the complaint against Cambodian Food and Service Workers Federation leader Sar Mora, without elaborating on the reasons.

Cambrew, which is partially owned by brewing giant Carlsberg, had lodged a $60,000 complaint against Mora and Mao after a strike last August. About 100 workers went on strike for five days to protest the sacking of a warehouse manager.

The company produces Angkor, Carlsberg, Bayon, Klang and Black Panther beers. Cambrew could not be reached, and Carlsberg did not respond to a request for comment.

After the hearing, Mora said they would appeal the decision. “Cambrew doesn’t want to lose face,” he said. “But they also don’t want CFSWF to exist, so they pressure local leaders.”

The director of labour rights group Central, Moeun Tola, said that the ruling against Mao was part of a pattern of silencing unions, adding that “everyone understands that the court system is not independent and it’s used as a political tool”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • First case of coronavirus reported in the Kingdom

    Cambodia reported its first case of the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on Monday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng announced. He said medical specialists detected the virus in a Chinese tourist in Sihanoukville. The minister said Jia Jianhua, 60, travelled from Wuhan city, where the outbreak

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • NBC’s digital payments to go live in next few months

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) will launch a Blockchain-based, peer-to-peer payment and money transfer platform in the next few months, its director-general Chea Serey told The Post on Monday. Dubbed ‘Project Bakong’, the scheme already has the support of 11 banks, with many more expected

  • Gov’t answers garment buyers’ complaint

    Some of the biggest buyers in the Kingdom’s garment sector have urged Prime Minister Hun Sen to address issues faced by unions and workers – a request a senior official said was out of touch with the situation on the ground. The letter addressed to