Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Canadian journalist was murdered: family

Canadian journalist was murdered: family

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Journalist Dave Walker (right) in Phnom Penh last year. RICHARD S. EHRLICH

Canadian journalist was murdered: family

A statement released yesterday by the family of Canadian journalist Dave Walker, whose remains were found last week in Siem Reap, asserts that he was in fact murdered, and that Cambodian authorities are actively attempting to cover it up.

The lengthy statement, which was issued by Tammy Madon, Walker’s cousin and next of kin, said that a team of seven forensic experts from the Thai Ministry of Justice found that the 58-year-old had been murdered, and that Cambodian police were well aware of the finding, despite repeated statements that he died of natural causes.

“That Dave Walker was murdered is the undisputed professional conclusion of every investigator, Canadian and Cambodian government representative, and medical professional who witnessed and examined the scene and analyzed the body of Dave Walker,” the statement reads.

Walker first went missing on February 14, when he walked out of his guesthouse, leaving behind his phone, laptop and personal effects. His body was found on May 1 in a patch of forest at the Angkor Thom temple complex.

According to the statement, an autopsy has not yet been performed, and the Thai experts who conducted the examination recommended that Walker’s body be brought to Bangkok, where authorities have the technology and expertise to fully examine it, a request echoed by a Canadian government representative.

However, it continues, Cambodian police refused this request, and the representatives of the Canadian government who were present left Cambodia for Bangkok, leaving the body in refrigeration in a Siem Reap hospital and under the control of Cambodian authorities.

Officials at the Canadian embassy in Bangkok could not be reached for comment.

The statement went on to call the Canadian embassy’s apparent reluctance to conduct its own investigation, or to contradict the allegedly false statements made by Cambodian police an “embarrassment and betrayal of Canadian citizens”.

Touch Malai, deputy chief of the provincial technical and scientific police unit, continued to maintain yesterday that Walker had died of natural causes.

“I still say that there are no injuries that could be found on the body. The doctor from Thailand did the autopsy to determine whether it was Dave or not. We also did the autopsy, and the Cambodian doctor told us that Dave died of a heart attack,” he said. “So we just have our conclusion after our autopsy was completed. If Dave Walker’s family and friends have another conclusion, or suggest future investigations into the reason why Dave died, we will cooperate.” ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY THIK KALIYANN

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not