Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Canadian with spotted past gets 7 years on sex assault charges

Canadian with spotted past gets 7 years on sex assault charges

Canadian with spotted past gets 7 years on sex assault charges

An elderly Canadian man notorious for promoting pedophilia in his home country was sentenced on Friday to seven years in prison following the sexual exploitation of four underage boys in Siem Reap.

Pierre Deslauriers, 70, from Montreal, was found guilty of purchasing child prostitution from children under 15 years of age, said presiding judge Duch Sok Sarin of the Siem Reap Provincial Court.

“The court sentenced him to seven years in jail and ordered him to pay compensation to four underage boys who were the victims,” Sok Sarin said.

Child prostitution charges are punishable by seven to 15 years imprisonment in Cambodia, but the Canadian national received the minimum sentence after the court cited his old age and the children’s lack of severe physical injuries, said Khoem Vando, deputy director of field operations at Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), which defended the minors.

“We welcome the punishment, but we are not satisfied with it because sexual abuse of children has nothing to do with physical injuries. It’s a lifelong trauma,” Vando said.

Deslauriers was arrested on February 23 after authorities raided his rental room in Siem Reap’s Slor Kram commune.

“He was arrested … after four boys told police that they had been victims of sexual abuse and police received a letter of complaint from their families,” said provincial anti-human trafficking department chief Doung Thavery.

According to Thavery, local villagers informed police that Deslauriers lured the boys to a forested area near his home to engage in sexual activities.

During the raid, police discovered the Canadian national in his room with multiple self-inflicted stab wounds, Thavery said.

APLE, Vando said, tracked down four more of Deslauriers’s alleged young victims and are considering bringing their cases to court.

The victims are receiving counselling and social support from APLE.

“This abuse could have an emotional effect on the children their whole lives … so it’s important they get the necessary help that they need,” Vando said.

In Canada, Deslauriers presented a pro-pedophilia lecture at a sexuality symposium at Collège de Maisonneuve. He also published an article defending his position in a banned magazine, according to Canadian newspaper La Presse.

Deslauriers, who works as a photographer, was convicted of indecent exposure in 1968 and received a suspended sentence for sexual assault in 1987. He was also punished with five years in prison in 1994 for the sexual assault of two girls aged 3 and 5 during a photo shoot, La Presse reported.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a