Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Canberra called on to sanction Hun Sen




Canberra called on to sanction Hun Sen

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian protesters assemble outside Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on Tuesday. Photo supplied

Canberra called on to sanction Hun Sen

Some 200 Cambodians gathered in front of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Canberra on Tuesday to deliver a petition calling on the Australian government to condemn the Kingdom’s new government and to put sanctions on prime minister-designate Hun Sen and other leading officials.

Australian politician Hong Lim, the Member of the Victorian Legislative Assembly for Clarinda who led the rally, said the mood was such that many of the protesters had taken the day off to join the rally, the first of its kind to take place on a working day.

“The purpose is to ask Australia to reject Hun Sen’s sham and fake election of July 29 [and] to follow the US in visa sanctions and freezing Hun Sen and co’s assets, [and call for the freeing of Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) president] Kem Sokha,” Lim said on Tuesday.

He said he welcomed the news that the Australian Ambassador to Cambodia would not be attending the opening of parliament scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Lim, who is also the president of the Cambodian Australian Federation (CAF), said the petition “calling on the Australian government to condemn the inauguration of Hun Sen’s new government which is scheduled to take place in Phnom Penh this Thursday” was delivered to DFAT State Director Jenny Bloomfield.

A CAF press release also said that Hun Sen’s relatives and political allies had gathered property and assets worth more than $20 million in Australia, a claim they based on media reports.

The CAF also alleged that “high-ranking Cambodian government and military officials regularly hold events in Melbourne for the purpose of radicalising and pressuring community members to support the [leadership],” the CAF statement said.

The CAF also called for the release of Kem Sokha, the jailed CNRP president, the reinstatement of the CNRP as a political party and its 118 officials, and the release of Australian filmmaker James Ricketson, who was sentenced last week to six years in prison for espionage.

However, ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) spokesperson Sok Eysan said in response on Tuesday that “no one cares” about Hong Lim.

“Whatever he wants to say, he can say, but it has no benefit at all. No one cares about him,” Eysan said.

‘No action taken’

Regarding the allegation of the $20 million worth of investment in Australia by CPP officials, Eysan said if those officials had broken Australian law then the authorities there would have already taken action against them.

“If [any of] their actions were illegal, Australia would have taken legal action. If they weren’t then how can they take action? [There is] no need for Hong Lim to say [anything]. Those who break the law . . . they face legal procedures,” he said.

DFAT Asia-Pacific region spokesperson Kristie Brown could not be reached for comment as of press time.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.