Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Candlelight Party to hold grenade attack memorial

Candlelight Party to hold grenade attack memorial

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Sam Rainsy, then-president of the Khmer National Party, is carried away after the grenade attack in 1997. DAVID VAN DER VEEN/AFP

Candlelight Party to hold grenade attack memorial

The Candlelight Party will hold a memorial service on Friday for the victims of the 1997 grenade attack on an opposition rally at Wat Botum Park, an attack that resulted in at least 16 deaths and more than 120 injured, including former opposition leader Sam Rainsy.

Four American-made grenades were lobbed into a group of Khmer National Party supporters, at the time led by Rainsy, who were rallying at Wat Botum to call for an independent judiciary. The resulting carnage, which Rainsy
narrowly escaped, killed at least 16 people.

Candlelight Party official and former Senator Yu Seangheng said Phnom Penh City Hall had granted the party – which comprises the renamed remnants of the Sam Rainsy Party – permission for around 100 people to congregate on Friday at Wat Botum Park, where a small memorial to the victims of the attack is located.

“It is just a small event and is nothing related to politics. It is a religious ceremony. There will be no speech and nothing other than religion,” he said.

This will be the opposition’s first public event since the arrest of former Cambodia National Rescue Party President Kem Sokha in September and the forced dissolution of the party in November.

In the meantime, Rainsy has formed the Cambodia National Rescue Movement, which includes former Candlelight members, but has been labelled a terrorist group by Hun Sen.

While a local investigation into the 1997 attack yielded no results, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted an inquiry due to the fact that an American national was injured in the attack.

The investigation was ultimately cut short because then-US Ambassador Kenneth Quinn was reluctant to sour relations with Prime Minister Hun Sen.

However, the FBI report contained details that supported the opinion of Rainsy and others that the ruling party was behind the attack, with the report also finding soldiers allowed the perpetrators to pass through a security cordon, but blocked civilians trying to catch them.

City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey said the religious ceremony had been given the green light but that attendees were not allowed to deviate from the memorial service.

“There will be no forum to express comments and attack top government institutions, the King and other elites. That deviates from the request,” he said, adding banners and loudspeakers were forbidden as well.

He added that there could be a security presence to maintain public order.

Former CNRP lawmaker Mu Sochua said the attack was still remembered by Cambodians across the world. “It’s important that the spirits of the victims be honoured and that justice be served. This annual memorial is to say exactly that.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement