Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital court sends three officials to ACU for VoIP bribery attempt



Capital court sends three officials to ACU for VoIP bribery attempt

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Phnom Penh Municipal Court sent three officials from the General Department of Identification and the General Department of Immigration to the Anti-Corruption Unit. Heng Chivoan

Capital court sends three officials to ACU for VoIP bribery attempt

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday sent three officials from the General Department of Identification and the General Department of Immigration to the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) for allegedly attempting to bribe the police to release 18 detained Chinese nationals.

The Chinese nationals had been held for their alleged involvement in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam in Kampong Speu province, according to Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor Say Nora.

National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun said the three officials had taken $40,000 to bribe the provincial police chief in exchange for the release of the 18.

The three men were detained on Thursday in Kampong Speu province.

Nora said on Monday, the court sent the officials to the ACU to comply with procedures because the case was a special offence in connection with Judicial Police officials.

Two of the three officials sent to the ACU worked in the General Department of Identification – deputy director Soeu Sitha and Khmer Nationality Bureau head Rath Pin.

The other official, Vann Sophea, headed the Procedural Compliance Bureau at the General Department of Immigration.

“Regarding the bribes, after I reviewed the case and finished questioning them, I sent them to the ACU to review the special offence. The case report and documentation have been sent too, and tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, they will be sent back to court,” Nora said.

National Police spokesman Kim Khoeun said that last Wednesday, the Kampong Speu police headquarters conducted an operation which resulted in the detention of 18 Chinese nationals in Baset district’s Svay Chachib commune for their alleged role in a VoIP online money extortion scam.

Provincial governor Vei Samnang said on Monday that after the 18 were detained, the three officials intervened and attempted to secure the release of the Chinese suspects.

“They thought our officials were corrupt. They offered money to release [the Chinese nationals]. We told them we could only release eight people for $40,000 and they said eight people are OK."

“Then they said that if we released twelve people, they would give us $150,000. We arrested the three and confiscated the $40,000,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting