Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capsized ferry’s owner still missing

Capsized ferry’s owner still missing

Capsized ferry’s owner still missing

091013_02
Local villagers assist in the hunt for bodies in the aftermath of Saturday night’s ferry disaster, which claimed 17 lives – including that of a 4-year-old boy.

THE OWNER of a ferry that capsized in Kratie province Saturday, killing at least 17 people, remained missing Monday amid conflicting reports that he had either drowned in the accident or had escaped and gone into hiding, police said.

Police officials had spoken with the ferry pilot’s wife and daughter, and it was unclear whether he would face criminal charges if he was found alive, said Kratie provincial police Chief Chuong Seang Hak. He said that he believed the man survived the accident.

An employee said Sunday that he saw the owner swim to shore and hide. The man’s daughter, however, told the Post she thought he had drowned.

A dozen other survivors were accounted for by Monday, Chuong Seang Hak said.

Roughly 30 passengers were thought to be on the ferry, which officials said was made to carry 20 people, when it sank in heavy rain Saturday night after those on board panicked.

“Passengers didn’t stay calm when the rain hit,” Chuong Seang Hak said, describing a scene of terrified victims frantically grabbing at one another through the darkness in a struggle to stay afloat.

Meanwhile, distraught relatives mourned their dead Monday. Eang Te, 54, lost four members of his family, including two young grandsons, ages 4 and 5.

“I feel really hopeless,” Eang Te said as family members gathered for a mass funeral for 15 of the dead.

Chhlong commune Chief Lao Bunnim said he was shocked at the news of the drowning. “The boat owner has been doing this job for a long time, and such a terrible thing has never happened before,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not