Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Case against UN staffer dropped



Case against UN staffer dropped

OHCHR Cambodia officer Soen Sally, seen speaking at an event, is no longer being charged as an accomplice in the ‘bribery’ case against the Adhoc 5.
OHCHR Cambodia officer Soen Sally, seen speaking at an event, is no longer being charged as an accomplice in the ‘bribery’ case against the Adhoc 5. CCHR

Case against UN staffer dropped

The local office for the United Nations human rights body released a statement on Friday saying that charges laid against its staffer, Soen Sally, had been dropped in a case relating to an alleged sex scandal involving opposition leader Kem Sokha.

The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said charges against Sally, who had been named as an accomplice to “bribery” charges involving the so-called “Adhoc 5”, were dropped by the court on June 29, the same day that the five were released from pre-trial detention.

The cases are widely believed to be politically motivated. Court spokesmen Ly Sophanna and Y Rin could not be reached yesterday to confirm the development.

Sally’s involvement in the case was never clarified by officials but he was charged as an accomplice in the alleged bribing of Sokha’s purported mistress, Khom Chandaraty, to lie about the supposed affair.

However, unlike Sally, the Adhoc 5 will see their cases go to trial at a to-be-determined date.

“We do remain concerned that the trials against them are proceeding despite the lack of evidence and legal reasoning to justify the charges,” the OHCHR’s statement reads.

Unlike the Adhoc 5, Sally was not sent to pre-trial detention. The OHCHR noted publicly that he was protected by UN immunity, a claim that was backed by the Foreign Ministry despite attempts to arrest him.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese