Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cases of dengue double in first half

Cases of dengue double in first half

Cases of dengue double in first half

The number of dengue cases during the first half of this year more than doubled compared to the same period last year and is increasing, a government report said on Wednesday.

The National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control (CNM) at the Ministry of Health released a document saying there were 3,284 cases of dengue fever from January to June, seven of which were fatal.

Last year there were only 1,580 cases and one death over the same period.

CNM director Huy Rekol said: “It could increase during June, July, and August. We try not to let the number of cases increase, but there has been a lot of rain in tropical areas this year, so dengue cases increased in other countries as well.

“The ministry knows the extent of cases each year, and we have prepared plans, around 300 tonnes of medicine and professional medical staff to deal with it,” he said.

The report said fatal cases were due to low awareness of the disease or sending victims to the hospital too late for proper treatment.

Ly Sovann, the spokesman for the health ministry said the disease hasn’t reached an alert point yet.

“Dengue cases this year are higher than last year because it is going through a cycle. People need to stay cautious and destroy mosquitoes larvae at their breeding sites,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • US Embassy urges reconciliation

    The US has urged Cambodia to restore the independence of the media, drop charges against Kem Sokha and other political prisoners, and end the prohibition of political activity by opposition parties. However, senior government officials see the request, issued by US embassy spokesman Arend C

  • Government deports 235 Chinese scammers

    THE Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior on Thursday deported 235 Chinese nationals, 35 of whom were female, via the Phnom Penh International Airport for their part in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam. The deportees were arrested on November 26 over the

  • EU companies voice concern over impact of possible EBA withdrawal

    European companies operating in Cambodia voiced concern over the potential repercussions of removing the Kingdom’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential scheme, as the EU Ambassador to Cambodia, George Edgar, led an EU-organised media trip this week. Speaking in Siem Reap province as part of