Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Casino workers end protest




Casino workers end protest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The agreement was made on Wednesday after over 200 workers at the casino protested after the employer terminated their employment without giving them their salaries and compensation. Supplied

Casino workers end protest

Preah Sihanouk provincial Department of Labour and Vocational Training director Yov Khemara said on Wednesday that 170 workers at the Hao Cheng Casino in village III, Commune IV, in Sihanoukville had accepted their salaries to end their protest. Some 100 others decided to continue working.

The agreement was made on Wednesday after over 200 workers at the casino protested outside of it on Tuesday, after their employer terminated their employment without giving them their salaries and compensation.

“Some 230 workers were involved in the protest and 170 of them received their salary in return for not protesting any further,” he said, adding that the employer spent $29,710 in salary payments.

He said the casino did not pay the workers’ salaries as it was financially constrained when the government halted online gambling.

Furthermore, Khemara said not many people went to the casino as a road is under construction in the area and people were afraid of catching the Covid-19 disease. However, the casino has not announced closing the operation.

A worker, Naem Vy, told The Post that on Wednesday, the 170 received a salary between $200 and $300 each.

He said: “No problem! they reached a good solution after we protested. We agreed to the solution. Some received the salary and continue to work without any protest.”

The casino employed nearly 300 workers on two shifts with more than 100 of them in each. The casino began operation in July last year.

Another worker, San Sam Eng, said on Wednesday that they decided to protest after they could not bear the pressure from their employer. The casino’s employer didn’t pay the salary after they were dismissed.

She said: “We cannot continue to work anymore despite the salary being paid because the casino owner is not consistent with his treatment of the workers.

“When he feels good, all is fine and we work as usual. But when he feels bad, he arbitrarily wants to stop everyone from working. He also deducts money from me for no reason.

“Following the protest, Khmer and Chinese casino representatives came forward to clarify the matter and claimed they will pay the workers within two days, and they did.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that