Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cause of Kampong​ Speu blaze determined

Cause of Kampong​ Speu blaze determined

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The blaze that destroyed an unlicensed oil refinery in Kampong Speu was caused by a faulty electrical system, investigation found. Photo supplied

Cause of Kampong​ Speu blaze determined

The blaze that destroyed an unlicensed oil refinery which produced diesel in Kampong Speu province’s Phnom Sruoch district on Tuesday was caused by a faulty electrical system, a police investigation has found.

Kampong Speu provincial police chief Sam Samoun told The Post on Wednesday that after questioning the refinery’s owner, Thorn Sengly, it had been determined that Tuesday’s fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.

Phnom Sruoch district police chief Say Bun Thorn said an investigation by specialists and a confession from the refinery’s owner revealed that the blaze was started when an electrical malfunction caused sparks to fall on barrels of diesel.

The fire started at around 3:45pm on Tuesday, with police using four fire engines to put out the blaze. Two were from Kampong Speu provincial police headquarters and two from a Cambodia-Vietnam military training school in Phnom Sruoch district.

“The diesel oil refinery had been shut down by police as it operated without legal permission, but it had secretly restarted production,” Kampong Speu provincial police chief Samoun said.

District police chief Bun Thorn said a committee had inspected the location in Dambouk Roung commune’s Damnak Trach village after the fire and found the refinery had been operating illegally.

The Ministry of Economy and Finance also confirmed that the refinery did not have a licence to operate.

“Although the oil refinery was operating illegally, authorities still employed fire engines to put out the fire because, as authorities, we must help people,” Bun Thorn said.

As well the property, an oil tanker, seven crude oil processing units, six oil containers and 24 connection pipes were destroyed, among other equipment, while 67,000 litres of diesel went up in smoke, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97