Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CCJ calls on gov’t to keep journalists safe

CCJ calls on gov’t to keep journalists safe

A photographer for Agence France-Presse is hit with a baton by a military police officer during a demonstration in Phnom Penh in 2014. Photo supplied
A photographer for Agence France-Presse is hit with a baton by a military police officer during a demonstration in Phnom Penh in 2014. Photo supplied

CCJ calls on gov’t to keep journalists safe

The Club of Cambodian Journalists (CCJ) has called on the authorities to do more to ensure journalists’ safety during the 2018 elections.

“For the upcoming elections, we don’t know whether they will be more or less tense, it is hard to say,” CCJ president Pen Bunna said on Friday, recalling the violent aftermath of the contested 2013 elections.

“We appeal to all political parties and all levels of authority to help to protect and keep journalists safe under all circumstances.”

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said it was already policy to protect journalists, but that reporters had a duty to keep themselves safe too.

“But it depends on the journalists themselves; everyone has to respect each other. It doesn’t mean that anyone who holds a press card can do whatever they like.”

Perhaps more than any other group, the Daun Penh district security guards were called out for their brutality in suppressing post-election protests and in some cases beating journalists.

Daun Penh District Governor Kouch Chamroeun blamed reporters for embedding “undercover” with protesters and not identifying themselves. Asked about Daun Penh security guards assaulting journalists, he simply said: “This is what they do, I will not elaborate.”

When asked why government forces had not faced prosecution for assaulting journalists, Siphan said security guard and police units preferred to mete out discipline behind closed doors.

Additional reporting by Jack Davies

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.