Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chaem ruling to be appealed

Chaem ruling to be appealed

International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian seen during an ECCC hearing in 2015. Nhet Sok Heng/ECCC
International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian seen during an ECCC hearing in 2015. Nhet Sok Heng/ECCC

Chaem ruling to be appealed

The Khmer Rouge tribunal’s international co-prosecutor said he will appeal the investigating judges’ decision to dismiss the case against Im Chaem on the grounds that she was not a senior leader and could not be tried as one of those “most responsible” for the crimes under the regime.

The judges said the former Preah Netr Preah district secretary “had the authority to order executions” and was a “trusted and close aide” of Ta Mok, known as “the butcher”, who purged Khmer Rouge soldiers. Yet ultimately – in a document that was largely censored – they deemed Chaem too lowly in the Khmer Rouge leadership to face the court.

In a document made public on Friday, International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian notified the tribunal that he intended to appeal that decision. However, the co-prosecutor declined to comment on the appeal, saying the matter was “covered by orders of confidentiality”.

Koumjian’s move goes against the grain of not only the investigating judges but also his Cambodian counterpart. Since December last year, National Co-Prosecutor Chea Leang has argued that Chaem fell outside the jurisdiction of the tribunal.

Chaem’s defence lawyer, Bit Seanglim, declined to comment, but her legal team in a statement last week urged Koumjian to “appropriately consider and weigh the interests of justice and of Ms. Im Chaem in deciding whether or not to pursue an appeal”.

“[A]n appeal is unlikely to respect the boundaries of the law and would weigh heavily against the interests of justice as a whole, including our client’s right to a fair and expeditious trial.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Ethnic group ‘disappointed’ to be denied French visas to attend court

    Eleven people at the centre of a case involving seven indigenous Bunong villages in Mondulkiri province pursuing legal action in France have expressed disappointment after the French embassy in Phnom Penh denied their visa applications to attend court. A press release said the 11 included a

  • PM: War result of foreign meddling

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Sunday that Cambodia’s recent history of conflict was caused by foreign interference. “The wars that happened were caused by provocation, incitement, support, smearing and interference from foreign powers, and the group of ignorant people who pushed Cambodia to

  • EBA withdrawal provides ‘opportunity for growth’

    Economic analyst Khoun Bunny said on Tuesday that the loss of the EU’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement could be a golden opportunity for Cambodia to show it deserved to be ranked sixth on the list of the world’s fastest-growing economies. Government

  • Malaysia MP accused of ‘influencing law’

    Malaysian Member of Parliament (MP) Larry Sng arrived in Siem Reap early on Wednesday, in what was slammed by one NGO as efforts by Kuala Lumpur to “influence Cambodian law”. The Malaysian Embassy in Phnom Penh requested on January 30 “cooperation from the Ministry of Foreign