Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Charges despite settlement

Charges despite settlement

A senior city official’s son, whose vehicle hit and killed three people
A senior city official’s son, whose vehicle hit and killed three people, sits in pre-trial detention in Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sunday. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Charges despite settlement

A driver allegedly responsible for three deaths and three injuries over the weekend was charged yesterday and will remain in jail despite his father’s high-ranking status in Phnom Penh government, police insisted.

Driving a black Range Rover, Bun Ratanak, 30, allegedly crashed into a line of motorbikes at about 5:30pm on Saturday in Meanchey district. Phnom Penh police chief Chhuon Sovann said Ratanak had been charged yesterday by Phnom Penh Municipal Court for causing deaths and injury by driving.

Initial local media reports suggested Ratanak had avoided jail through an out-of-court settlement, but Sovann denied the rumour. Ratanak, who is the son of Bun Serey, a director of Phnom Penh Municipal Hall’s finance office, will be sent to pre-trial detention, he added.

“No matter how rich a perpetrator is, he cannot pay for the victims’ lives and he has to be given justice by the court,” Sovann said. “Even if the victims’ families had received the compensation, the perpetrator has to be tried in court.”

Ratanak faces civil and criminal charges stemming from the crash, Sovann said. Families of the victims have accepted compensation from him.

A Meanchey district police officer said Ratanak paid all funeral expenses and will pay further expenses later.

The determination to pursue criminal charges despite the victims’ families accepting compensation is reminiscent of the March hit-and-run case of 23-year-old medical student Keam Piseth Narita. After crashing her car on Norodom Boulevard, she ran into a crowd of people while fleeing the accident, killing three children and injuring 11 bystanders.

None of Narita’s victims pressed charges after her family settled with the victims’ families out of court, but a judge last month dished out a three-year suspended sentence with three and a half months to serve, and a six million riel [$1,500] fine.

At the time, Ou Virak, president of the Cambodian Center for Human Rights, called the punishment a step forward in Cambodian justice. But, regarding Ratanak’s case, Virak said he needs to wait and see how the trial plays out.

“It’s not a guarantee that he will not be able to buy himself out,” Virak said. “I want to see the trial and I want to see the sentencing.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SEAN TEEHAN

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked