Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Charges in fatal crash

Charges in fatal crash

Charges in fatal crash

A WOMAN suspected of killed one person and injuring four others before crashing her car into a Phnom Penh hotel on September 16 has been charged with drunken driving and causing the death and injury of others, the president of Phnom Penh Municipal Court said Wednesday.

Chiv Keng said Chuon Saveth, 28, was being held in Prey Sar prison.

“I don’t know when a hearing will take place because we are still waiting for the investigation to be finished,” he said.

Chuon Saveth is suspected of mowing down four motorbikes and a tuk-tuk, fatally injuring its driver, before slamming her Corolla into the Walkabout Hotel and Bar on Street 51.

Police identified the tuk-tuk driver as Thai Hour, 55.

A witness said Chuon Saveth tried to drive away from the scene of the crash but was restrained and beaten by bystanders.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police