Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Charges laid in Takeo kidnap rumours case



Charges laid in Takeo kidnap rumours case

Ly Chhaya, 30, was charged yesterday with disinformation and incitement over allegedly spreading fake kidnapping rumours.
Ly Chhaya, 30, was charged yesterday with disinformation and incitement over allegedly spreading fake kidnapping rumours. Facebook

Charges laid in Takeo kidnap rumours case

A Takeo resident was charged on Tuesday for incitement and spreading false information after he posted a video on Facebook claiming that his niece had been followed by Vietnamese nationals attempting to kidnap her.

The charges were filed as police officials, and even Prime Minister Hun Sen, have attempted to quell social media-fuelled hysteria over unverified claims of child kidnappings across the country, many of which appear to feed on racial animus towards the Vietnamese, and some of which have resulted in mob violence.

Phann Sopheak, a spokesman for the Takeo Provincial Court’s prosecutors, said Ly Chhaya, 30, was charged under articles 425 and 495 of the Criminal Code – communicating “false information” and “incitement to commit a felony”, respectively – and sent to pre-trial detention.

“He was charged yesterday by Prosecutor Tep Munin, and sent to pre-trial detention by Investigative Judge Maen Ratha on Tuesday,” he said.

Chhaya posted a video on Monday sitting alongside his niece, and said that she had been followed by two individuals whom he claimed to be Vietnamese, causing his niece to run for help after which the two disappeared.

The arrest followed two assaults, in Preah Sihanouk and Kampong Thom provinces, where the victims were falsely accused of kidnapping children to remove their kidneys. The incidents led to the arrest of an opposition activist accused of propagating the rumours.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Time to Rise by rapper, chapei legend is viral hit with ancient-modern mix

    Kong Nay is known internationally as the master of the chapei dang veng, a traditional Cambodian instrument resembling a long-necked lute or guitar with two nylon strings that he was already playing professionally by the age of 15. Nay is sometimes referred to as the Cambodian

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as