Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Charges for tycoon’s parents

Charges for tycoon’s parents

The parents of tycoon Thong Sarath leave Phnom Penh Court yesterday after they were questioned and charged with possession of illegal weapons
The parents of tycoon Thong Sarath leave Phnom Penh Court yesterday after they were questioned and charged with possession of illegal weapons. Pha Lina

Charges for tycoon’s parents

The parents of a tycoon wanted for murder were charged yesterday with the possession of illegal weapons and sent to Prey Sar prison where they will remain until their trial, court officials said.

Following a charge of instigating premeditated murder filed Friday against their son, Thong Sarath – who is on the run – Keo Sary and her husband, Tang Sok, also known as Thong Chamroeun, were questioned and charged at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

“Thong Sarath’s parents have been accused under … Cambodian penal law of keeping weapons illegally,” said investigating judge Svay Tonh. “I can’t tell you any more details.”

The couple faces up to three years in prison and a fine of $1,500 if found guilty.

Sarath, the owner of the Borey 999 development projects, is accused of masterminding the shooting of businessman Ung Meng Cheu outside a fruit shop in Phnom Penh on November 22. Two of Sarath’s bodyguards, Seang Veasna and Ly Sao, have been charged with the same crime, while two other bodyguards, Meas Sambath and Kouy Chanthol, have been charged as accomplices. Two last week said they had been violently coerced into confessing.

Sarath’s parents were among about 10 people arrested during raids on the family’s property last Wednesday night.

One of Sarath’s wives, Teav Thida, and brother Thong Bona, were released without charge yesterday, while a number of other bodyguards have also been freed.

Sary and Sok emerged from questioning around midday yesterday to apologise to Phnom Penh municipal police chief Chuon Sovann, whom they threatened last week to have fired for investigating their son.

“I want to tell you all that I am so sorry to Mr Chuon Sovann and thank you everyone here,” Sok said.

Sovann said police were still searching for Sarath and played down reports in local media that he had been arrested in Vietnam.

“I hope that we can arrest him as soon as possible. We have contacted international police to ask us to help find him.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not