Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chea Sim advisers to appeal

Chea Sim advisers to appeal

Chea Sim advisers to appeal

120103_03
Pheng Kunthea Borey, former protocol chief for Senate President Chea Sim, speaks to reporters outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court after being sentenced to four years in jail last month.

Four former high-ranking associates of Cambodian Senate President Chea Sim this week will appeal their convictions for serious fraud as they all maintain their innocence, their lawyers said yesterday.

Lawyers for the four say the sentences, which range from three to fours years each, are an injustice to their clients, who were convicted on weak evidence.

Muong Sokun, attorney for former Chea Sim Protocol Chief Pheng Kunthea, said his high-profile client refused to accept her conviction.

“I think the verdict against her is unjust,” Muong Sokun told the Post yesterday. “To find justice for her, I will be going to meet her and appeal to the Court of Appeal on January 5.”

Muong Sokun also said the 56-year-old socialite has fallen seriously ill in Prey Sar prison, where she is now detained. Pheng Kunthea Borey, whose reputation has been seriously tarnished by the conviction, is suffering from mental exhaustion and paranoia as well as high blood pressure, her lawyer said.

Last month, Pheng Kunthea Borey, former Chea Sim advisers Chan Kosal and Ponlork Ho, and cabinet member Khieu Bora were charged with serious fraud. Ponlork Ho, an American-Cambodian, was also charged with impersonating a three-star general.

Ponlork Ho’s defence lawyer Thong Chan Rithy also told the Post his client planned to submit an appeal this week.

“There was no evidence to press such a serious sentence on my client,” Thong Chan Rithy said. “To find justice for him and oppose Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision, I will appeal the conviction.”

Similarly, Chan Kosal and Khieu Bora’s lawyer, Tep Money Cheath, said there was never any real evidence or proof against his clients that they had committed the crimes and that he will also lodge an appeal on January 5.

None of the 51 companies that were allegedly scammed by the high-ranking bureaucrats have lodged complaints or filed documentation to back up the charges against the foursome. A fifth man, Malaysian national Joe Harry Mahady, also known as “Dino”, was also sentenced to four years imprisonment in absentia for his involvement in the alleged crimes.

All four Cambodians claim Mahady, who apparently fled the country in September, duped them and that they had not knowingly been involved in any scams of their own volition.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh