Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chemical weapons team ends mission in Mondulkiri



Chemical weapons team ends mission in Mondulkiri

CMAC officials earlier this month work to neutralise an unexploded tear gas bomb discovered in Svay Rieng province.
CMAC officials earlier this month work to neutralise an unexploded tear gas bomb discovered in Svay Rieng province. Photo supplied

Chemical weapons team ends mission in Mondulkiri

A technical team from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons finished inspecting 12 chemical bomb sites in Mondulkiri province yesterday.

Four experts from the OPCW were accompanied by Cambodian authorities on the mission, according to Chey Son, deputy secretary-general of Cambodia’s National Authority for Chemical Weapons.

“Twelve bombs were found recently. Two were unexploded and contain chemical substances,” Son said.

He added that the team from OPCW, the implementing body of the 1997 Chemical Weapons Convention, brought its equipment to inspect the bombs and identify the substances within.

“They took the sample of each substance for experiments, and we will discuss it with each other,” Son explained.

The substances, he added, may be examined abroad.

The team will continue its inspection in Tbong Khmum today, followed by two days in Svay Rieng.

The presence of chemical bombs dropped by the United States before the Khmer Rouge came to power has been a wedge issue in the already tense relationship between Cambodia and America over the past year.

Yout Chanthorn, a villager in Mondulkiri’s Sen Monorom, said he found five bombs in the 1980s while clearing forest for farmland.

“I wondered what is it? I opened it with a stick and I saw yellow powder that flew onto my face and I felt like my eyes were hurt and my face was burning,” Chanthorn said, adding that he recovered a few days later but never dared to inspect the bombs again.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman