Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chi Kraeng civil complaint dropped

Chi Kraeng civil complaint dropped

Chi Kraeng civil complaint dropped

Siem Reap province
RESIDENTS of Anlong Samnor commune in Siem Reap province yesterday withdrew their civil complaint against eight villagers from neighbouring Chi Kraeng commune stemming from a long-running land dispute.

But the accused are still to be tried today on criminal charges.

“The defendants will not be responsible for civil compensation after the withdrawal of the complaint, but we will still consider the criminal charges,” Judge Chhay Kong said.

He said the charges – filed after a November 2008 altercation – included incitement, causing injury and destruction of private property. He said the court would hear the testimony of 10 more people today.

The row dates back to 1986, when one large village was divided equally between Chi Kraeng and Anlong Samnor communes, leaving an unspecified amount of farmland in dispute. Last year, the provincial court ruled that all of the disputed land belonged to Anlong Samnor, triggering conflicts between the two communes.

According to Monday’s agreement, which was endorsed by representatives from both communes and handed out at the court, the Chi Kraeng villagers will cease demanding rights and access to the disputed land in exchange for a promise from Anlong Samnor representatives to withdraw and cease all complaints.

Bun Tharith, Siem Reap deputy provincial governor, said officials had tentatively agreed on Monday to provide a social land concession to the Chi Kraeng villagers. However, he said he did not know where the concession would be located, or the amount of land each family would receive.

He said that authorities would need to collect data on the Chi Kraeng households before distributing land.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a