Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Child porn producer jailed

Child porn producer jailed

Child porn producer jailed

110622_3
Mathias Cassar leaves Phnom Penh Municipal Court following a hearing last week.

I am disappointed that the French man’s verdict did not reach our expectations

A French national and his Cambodian girlfriend were sentenced yesterday to six years in prison each for producing child pornography and ordered to pay their eight victims a total of 40 million riels (US$9,800).

Mathias Cassar, a 35-year-old photographer and designer, was found guilty of producing child pornography while his girlfriend Duong Savy, 25, was judged to be an accomplice.  

Presiding judge at Phnom Penh Municipal Court Din Sivuthy said yesterday that their arrest following complaints from the families of eight children aged between eight and 12 years old.

At his trial last week, the Frenchman confessed to producing child pornography on three occasions in early 2011. He said he had committed the crime to earn money to help buy medicine for his girlfriend who has HIV/AIDS.

“The court has found that Mathias Cassar and Duong Savy are guilty,” said the judge yesterday, adding that Cassar would be deported from Cambodia upon his release and that each victim would received five million riels from the couple.

Nuon Phanith, a lawyer for the eight victims who was provided by the child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants, said he was not pleased with the verdict, as the victims were requesting combined compensation of $55,000 and prison sentences of 10 to 20 years.  

“I am disappointed that the French man’s verdict did not reach our expectations. I think that his sentence is small for him and does not fit the crime that had been committed against the victims,” he said.

“However, I am happy that the court has ordered to expel this foreign man from Cambodia when he has served his jail term. He cannot not take revenge on the victims or their families or commit his activities again.”

Cassar and Duong Savy could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Dun Vibol, the lawyer for the convicted couple, said that the verdict was acceptable given their admittance of guilt in the trial.

“On the other hand, there was no evidence to prove that he had sold the pornographic images to internet buyers,” he said yesterday, adding that his clients would not appeal the verdict.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • Sam Rainsy, government group set to clash at IPU Geneva meet?

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy has been invited to speak at the General Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Geneva, according to a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) lawmaker. A government delegation is also set to attend the meeting, a National Assembly press release