Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Child sex-tourism plan earns Alaskan 18 years

Child sex-tourism plan earns Alaskan 18 years

Child sex-tourism plan earns Alaskan 18 years

As Alaskan man has been sentenced to 18 years behind bars for attempting to arrange a child sex tourism trip to Cambodia for himself and others, and for sexually exploiting children in Cambodia over a four-year period, the US Justice Department announced on Friday.

Jason Jayavarman, 45, was found guilty and convicted of the crimes in March last year, after an anonymous tip-off triggered an FBI and police investigation, said a statement from the department.

According to trial evidence, he planned a trip for himself and others to engage in illicit sexual conduct with Cambodian children as young as 12.

Jayavarman told potential clients – including an undercover FBI agent – how to groom a child for sex and avoid arrest.

Trial evidence also proved he made 12 trips to Cambodia between 2010 and his arrest in 2013, where he made multiple pornographic videos of himself engaging in sexual acts with someone he believed to be a child.

US district judge Sharon Gleason of the District of Alaska on Thursday sentenced Jayavarman to 18 years’ jail and a lifetime term of supervised release.

Nget Thy, executive director at the Cambodian Centre for the Protection of Children’s Rights, said the sentence “set an example” to opportunistic foreigners angling to exploit children in the Kingdom.

“The children are very vulnerable, especially the poor … it is happening more and more in Phnom Penh,” he said.

“It is very easy for them to be exploited, so we have to protect them.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not