Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese arrested after radio report



Chinese arrested after radio report

Chinese arrested after radio report

Immigration Police who burst into a Phnom Penh apartment building on Saturday morning expecting to find a Chinese VoIP scam based on reports from a local radio station didn’t find any evidence of an extortion ring. They did, however, discover 29 Chinese nationals living in Cambodia illegally who will now be deported, officials said yesterday.

Uk Hai Sela, director of the General Department of Immigration, said police became concerned after hearing an interview on ABC Radio with a caller who claimed that a female friend had been beaten and extorted for money by a group of Chinese nationals.

Hai Sela said that when police showed up to investigate, they found no evidence of a VoIP scheme – online extortion rings run by Chinese nationals and routinely busted in the Kingdom – but did discover a group of 50 Chinese nationals who were living or working in Cambodia illegally.

According to Hai Sela, 21 of the Chinese nationals had valid e-visas but did not have work permits and will be made to pay fines. Many had been in Cambodia for a year, he said.

Twenty-nine others were unable to produce passports and will be deported.

He said police also found the woman who had allegedly been beaten and extorted, but discovered she was in a romantic relationship with one of the Chinese nationals and had asked a friend to call the radio station to report him because they had quarrelled the day before.

Hai Sela criticised both the caller and ABC Radio for alarming the police and the public.

“The presenters at the radio station, when they got the information, they said it in a panic-inducing way that made us worried about the victim,” Hai Sela said. “It wastes the time of those coming to do business in Cambodia and the police’s time.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman