Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese ‘kidnapping’ trial unfolds

Chinese ‘kidnapping’ trial unfolds

Five Chinese nationals pose for a photo at a military police station in Phnom Penh last year after they were arrested for their suspected involvement in a kidnapping. Photo supplied
Five Chinese nationals pose for a photo at a military police station in Phnom Penh last year after they were arrested for their suspected involvement in a kidnapping. Photo supplied

Chinese ‘kidnapping’ trial unfolds

Six Chinese nationals allegedly involved in the kidnapping and illegal confinement of three of their countrymen in the capital in December yesterday denied having any knowledge of the case in a hearing at Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The six were arrested on December 14 and 15, accused of holding the Chinese trio at a Meanchey district rental house for four months in a bid to make them repay a loan taken to pay off gambling debts.

All six were charged a week later along with a seventh suspect, Chu Qi Long, who remains at large and is being tried in absentia.

The five men arrested at the raid of the rental house – Dai Xiao, 35; Hue Wu Tong, 46; Li Xi Hua, 59; Xu Cheng, 41; Wang Jie, 35 – each testified that they worked for a company named Sai Min, which offered loans to gamblers.

They said the firm was named after its Chinese owner and managed by two people only known as Feng and Xiu Hua. The whereabouts of the trio are not known.

“Our sole responsibility was to approach potential borrowers who wished to make loans with the company,” one defendant said.

The sixth accused, Zhang Zheng Sheng, 41, was arrested at Sai Min’s house the following day and has denied even working for the company.

“I was Sai Min’s friend . . . I stayed with Sai Min. Then the police arrested me at his house when Sai Min wasn’t there,” he said.

Defence attorney Tep Moncheath, representing all the accused, said two of the victims – Hu Liang Yong and Zhang Yong – had withdrawn their complaints, but judge Ros Piseth said it was a criminal case still valid for trial.

The name of the third victim has never been revealed. A verdict is due on October 13.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • NOCC to contest petanque, tennis axe

    The National Olympic Committee of Cambodia will lobby hard over the next few weeks for the inclusion of the Kingdom’s most productive medal-earning sport, petanque, along with vovinam and tennis after the disciplines were left out of the initial list of 30 preferred sports for