Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese man charged for beating garment workers



Chinese man charged for beating garment workers

Chinese national Xue Shu Bing, a manager at Bing Win Garment, has been provisionally charged for intentional violence for beating two workers on the factory floor. Facebook
Chinese national Xue Shu Bing, a manager at Bing Win Garment, has been provisionally charged for intentional violence for beating two workers on the factory floor. Facebook

Chinese man charged for beating garment workers

A Chinese national was provisionally charged and sent to pre-trial detention on Saturday for intentional violence after garment workers at Kandal-based Bing Win Garment protested his alleged beating of two women on the factory floor.

The incident occurred on Thursday, when Xue Shu Bing, 50, was accused of hitting a factory worker, who proceeded to faint, and later hitting another woman.

Tin Socheatra, Kandal Provincial Court spokesman, said Xue had been charged by Prosecutor Ek Sunreaksmey under Article 217 of the Criminal Code with “intentional acts of violence”, which carries a prison sentence of up to three years and a fine of around $1,500.

Roeun Nara, Kandal deputy police chief, said it was unclear why Xue allegedly beat the women, but added that Y Sok Ngy, one of the victims, was holding finished garments when Xue hit her.

“When she was bending to pick up clothes, the Chinese man came and slapped on her face, talking to her in Mandarin. Then the Chinese man went to beat other woman named Eav Phallin, who was the team leader,” Nara said.

Nara added that Xue fled the scene but returned to the factory Friday, when he was apprehended by the police. Workers protested the beating and submitted a petition calling for the Chinese manager’s arrest.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration