Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese man stands trial for rape of teen

Chinese man stands trial for rape of teen

Chinese national Loo Chintong, 39 (right), accused of raping an underage Cambodian girl last year, enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court
Chinese national Loo Chintong, 39 (right), accused of raping an underage Cambodian girl last year, enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Hong Menea

Chinese man stands trial for rape of teen

A Chinese national stood before a judge yesterday, some nine months after he allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl in the capital’s Meanchey district.

Loo Chintong, a 39-year-old finance manager for Global Taxi Company in Phnom Penh, was taken into custody in March, Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s presiding judge Sous Sam Ath said. He has been held in Prey Sar prison since his arrest.

“He forcibly raped an underage Cambodian girl … after the rape, he fled to China,” said Major Chea Chouk, chief of the municipal military police department’s anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection unit. “He was arrested when he returned from China to resume his work in Phnom Penh.”

On the morning of December 15, the victim’s parents left their daughter home alone to sell fish and vegetables at Chbar Ampov Market, the victim’s 43-year-old father, Ky Kimhong, said.

Kimhong and his wife rushed home at about 10:30am, when he received a phone call from a neighbour who said his daughter had been raped by a Chinese man named “Tong”, he said.

“When I arrived home, I saw my daughter unconscious on the bed in my house,” Kimhong said. “I saw blood and semen dripping onto her feet.”

Chintong knew the family, who sometimes sold him fish and vegetables out of their house, Kimhong said.

About a week after the alleged rape, two Global Taxi Company employees visited the family on Chintong’s behalf and gave them $350 in exchange for the family not suing him in court, Kimhong said. But the victim’s family is suing Chintong for $10,000.

“This man has seriously damaged my daughter’s honour and her reputation,” Kimhong said.

Chintong’s hearing will continue next month, Sam Ath said.

MOST VIEWED

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from

  • Conflict lingers on Paris Accords

    As the Kingdom prepares to commemorate on October 23 the 27th anniversary of the signing of the 1991 Paris Peace Accords, which ushered in an end to nearly two decades of civil war, there is political conflict on whether the tenets of the agreement are still being

  • EU agrees VN trade deal despite rights concerns

    The EU on Wednesday agreed to a free-trade agreement (FTA) with Vietnam, a country described as having a “major rights-abusing government”. This comes amid the 28-nation bloc preparing the procedure for a possible withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential trade agreement on