Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Choungy case sent from NEC to capital courts

Choungy case sent from NEC to capital courts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Choung Choungy (centre), talks to the media in 2015 at the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Choungy case sent from NEC to capital courts

The Ministry of Justice said Tuesday that it has forwarded the National Election Commission’s (NEC) request to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to study if lawyer Choung Choungy has violated any laws through his Facebook posting.

“After receiving the NEC’s request, the Ministry of Justice sent it to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s prosecution’s office to let them verify if his (Choungy’s) posting was a political act. If it is a political act, it violates the Supreme Court’s rule.

“The prosecutor is studying the law to see if there is enough legal basis and evidence of a crime. If there is any, then the prosecutor will prepare criminal charges against him and decide under which crime and article to charge him,” Chin Malin, the ministry’s spokesperson said.

Explanation on Facebook

On July 17, days ahead of the Sunday parliamentary election, Choungy took to his Facebook to explain the rights of voters, and whether they would violate the law if they boycott the elections.

His action was interpreted as urging the people to keep away from voting which clearly violated Article 142 of the election law.

In response to the social media posting, the NEC reported to four ministries and the Bar Association, urging them to take action against the lawyer.

Choungy was one of the 118 people banned from taking part in politics for five years after the Supreme Court dissolved the Cambodian National Rescue Party (CNRP), for which he was the lawyer.

The Post could not reach the spokespersons for the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, Ministry of Interior or the Ministry of Telecommunication for comments on Tuesday.

However, Cambodia’s Bar Association president Suon Visal said his association has not decided on the request as he received the NEC’s letter last Friday.

Ministry of Information spokesperson Ouk Kim Seng, who asked the NEC to block Choungy’s Facebook account, said yesterday that it was temporally blocked on “White Day” but later unblocked.

“Officially, on White Day we implemented [the block] and nothing more than that,” he said.

Choungy could not be reached for comments on Tuesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • Kampot tourism quay ‘90% done’

    Construction on Kampot International Tourism Port – a 4ha quay in Teuk Chhou district about 6km west of Kampot town – has fallen off track, reaching 90 per cent completion, according to a senior Ministry of Tourism official last week. The project is now planned to be finished

  • Demining rat ‘hero’ Magawa dead at 8

    A landmine-hunting rat that was awarded a gold medal for heroism for clearing ordnance from the Cambodian countryside has died, his charity said on January 11. Magawa, a giant African pouched rat originally from Tanzania, helped clear mines from about 225,000sqm of land – the equivalent of 42