Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chroy Changvar road row pushes into Day 2

Chroy Changvar road row pushes into Day 2

A man lights a fire earlier this week on Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar peninsula during a protest as Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation uses bulldozers to clear the land.
A man lights a fire earlier this week on Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar peninsula during a protest as Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation uses bulldozers to clear the land.

Chroy Changvar road row pushes into Day 2

A protest against city hall’s decision to clear residents’ land for a new road on Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar peninsula without paying compensation yesterday entered its second day.

About 100 protesters forced bulldozers to temporarily stop work on the road – being built about 100 metres west of National Road 6A – by setting tyres alight in their path.

The demonstration followed similar efforts by several families on Monday.

The residents from the Kean Klang and Prek Leap communities are also embroiled in a long-running land dispute with the Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation, whose billion-dollar satellite city will sit on the new road.

Community representative Chea Sophat said villagers support the road but wanted adequate compensation for their lost land.

Pos Chamroeun, whose plot was partially bulldozed, said she wanted compensation for losing her crops. “We’re happy and support the development project if the development is transparent and equal,” she said.

However, Chroy Changvar District Governor Klang Huot said the authorities had no budget to compensate families that only lost land and could only pay those whose houses were affected.

Sia Phearum, director of NGO the Housing Rights Task Force, said Cambodia’s constitution and expropriation law obliged authorities to pay compensation if public projects infringed on residents’ private property. Most of those impacted on Chroy Changvar had documentation attesting to their ownership, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration