Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cintri rewarded with contract extensions

Cintri rewarded with contract extensions

People work past a mound of garbage at Phnom Penh’s Phsar Kabko market in 2014.
People work past a mound of garbage at Phnom Penh’s Phsar Kabko market in 2014. Eli Meixler

Cintri rewarded with contract extensions

After years of public complaints and government threats to cancel its contract, Phnom Penh’s sole garbage collector appears to be cleaning up its act.

In May, Cintri extended contracts for the four districts it has been responsible for since its main contract was signed in 2002 – Daun Penh, Prampi Makara, Chamkarmon and Toul Kork – with stipulations the company stick to a cleaning schedule, and assign a certain number of workers and trucks to each area.

With the program considered a success thus far, Cintri was given four new districts last week – Russey Keo, Por Sen Chey, Meanchey and Sen Sok – with four more to potentially come in September, according to City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada.

“The agreements give us details about what the roles of the districts are and what the company is doing, so that prevents blaming one another for failures,” Chanyada said.

“The districts can [now] disseminate the information about the rubbish collecting program. This is a big issue.”

The documents, however, do not include contract timeframes, nor would officials provide details of potential consequences should Cintri fail to live up to its pledges.

In addition, the governor said in a statement the city would cover losses Cintri might incur from households not paying, provided “the service is good and the capital is trash-free”.

MOST VIEWED

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the