Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cintri workers in wage protest

Cintri workers in wage protest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cintri workers protest on Thursday after negotiations over a $12 a month wage increase were delayed. Hong Menea

Cintri workers in wage protest

Some 500 workers of refuse collection firm Cintri took industrial action in front of a company facility in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district on Thursday after negotiations over a $12 a month wage increase and improved working conditions were delayed.

Touch Kosal, the head of the Cambodia Tourism Workers Union Federation, which has a union representative at the workplace, said workers started protesting on Wednesday evening after negotiations requested since November were delayed.

The company made an appointment for talks on Monday, but these were then postponed.

“The workers started protesting on Wednesday evening at around 3pm or 4 pm, and they did not work on Thursday."

“They demand a $12 a month increase for seniority pay and for when they do not use all their annual leave because some workers do not get to use it. However, after meeting with company representatives on Thursday, they proposed only an $8 increase.

“We want the company to resolve the issue and not to delay a solution anymore as protests could spread to other [facilities]. The workers stopped work on Wednesday evening and now we wait for a resolution. The workers have said that if the company does not resolve the issue, they will not work,” Kosal said.

Mi Phan, 41, a Cintri garbage truck driver for 14 years, said: “The company tells us it cannot increase pay by $12 a month. I have worked for Cintri for 14 years and I think the company does not think about [its workers].

“I work around 10 hours a day. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training does not pay attention to our health and safety – we work without gloves!”

Mao Kol Marad at the Office of Waste Management and the Environment said the issue was being looked at for a resolution.

“We are solving this problem, and we cannot leave it much longer as the garbage is already very smelly,” he said.

Ministry spokesman Heng Sour said the labour conflict was being looked at. “We will find a solution for the workers,” he said.

A 39-year-old petrol vendor in the capital’s Por Sen Chey commune who asked to remain anonymous said Cintri workers did not regularly collect waste from his house.

“Sometimes they did not collect the rubbish for 10 days. Maybe it is because we are just a small family and private companies [or restaurants] pay extra for [collecting]."

“It is a good thing if the company can increase the workers’ pay because as far as I know, their salary is low. I also hope the rubbish collection will be better than before, but that depends on the company’s management,” he said.

Ok Soban, a Sen Sok district resident, also said his waste collection was not regular. “I do not know if it is due to a shortage of workers or not. But I support improvement in their standard of living,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • Tragedy as four lions devour teenager in Pakistan safari park

    In a horrifying incident at an animal park in the Pakistani city of Lahore, four lions killed a 17-year-old grass reaper. However, how Muhammad Bilal Hussain managed to get near the lions was yet to be ascertained. Safari officials said Hussain climbed a 3.7m high

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series