Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - City orders crackdown on unsafe signs

City orders crackdown on unsafe signs

City orders crackdown on unsafe signs

110516_02
A man walks past three billboards that blew over during heavy winds last week in Russei Keo district’s Chroy Changvar commune. Photo by: Heng Chivoan

PHNOM Penh Municipal Hall has ordered advertising companies to repair all billboards in the capital within 30 days or face penalties, after a woman was injured when three billboards collapsed on the Chroy Changvar peninsula in Russei Keo district on Tuesday amid strong winds.

According to the announcement, signed by Phnom Penh governor Kep Chuktema on Thursday and released online on Saturday, there have been other incidents of billboards on the brink of collapse, banners tearing and piles of rubbish underneath signs across the city.

Chin Pou, director of the commercial billboard office at City Hall, said the order was released because some billboards affect “public safety and beauty in Phnom Penh”.

“We urge all the companies to repair [signs] again because the metal on some billboards is rusting. It is easy for them to collapse when the strong winds are coming and right now there is a lot of wind,” he said.

“If they do not follow [the guidelines] they will not be allowed to put the billboards up.”

Chan Nat, deputy Chroy Changvar commune chief, said that when he received the letter he would ensure that companies that own billboards across the commune will follow through on the order.

After the collapse of the three billboards, which were owned by Moon Media, the remaining two were partially dismantled but their metal structures remain. It is unclear when they will be fully taken down. 

Representatives from Moon Media declined to comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • US to ramp up sanctions after ‘flawed’ national polls

    At a press conference on Wednesday, the US State Department announced that it would expand visa sanctions on the Cambodian officials and individuals it deems responsible for “undermining democracy” in Cambodia. At the briefing, spokesperson Heather Nauert reiterated that the department regarded the July 29 elections

  • PM's Bodyguard commander hits back at US

    The commander of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Bodyguard Unit (BGU) Hing Bun Heang on Sunday dismissed a short video clip that went viral on social media in which he says he is preparing for a war with the United States over its aggressiveness towards

  • Final poll results confirm first single-party Assembly

    IN an unprecedented situation in Cambodian politics, the official results of the July 29 national elections have declared that the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) will take all 125 seats in the National Assembly on the back of it receiving 76 per cent of the votes. The National

  • Chinese influence to sweep Kingdom?

    Growing Cambodia-China ties have seen the latter’s influence sweep across the Kingdom through increased investments and tourism. The Asian giant has become the leading source of foreign funds in Cambodia, fuelling the construction sector with huge casino and hotel projects. Much of the growth