Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Clarification on granting of land concessions

Clarification on granting of land concessions

Clarification on granting of land concessions

Dear Editor,

Having seen the article published on June 25 on page four of the Khmer-language Phnom Penh Post, headed “After declared pausing, PM Hun Sen provides land concession to seven companies”, by May Tithara, and on page one of the English-language Post, headed “Hun Sen grants four ELCs, leases allot 35,000 hectares in protected areas”, by the same media, the Cabinet of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen wishes the editors-in-chief of both papers to publish the following clarification:

Citing the Royal Gazette that “ . . . have signed to provide another seven land economic con-cessions of 56,586 hectares to seven companies . . . ”, the Cabinet of Samdech would like to clarify that the seven sub-decrees (three of them, as the cabinet has already required the Cambodia Daily to clarify, were ratified on May 18, 2012 and the other four on June 7) are the continuation of a procedure of granting land concessions approved before May 7, under order No. 01 BB, signed on May 7, 2012.

Please refer to Point 4 of the above order, which states that “Land economic concessions that have already received official permission from the government before the issue date must remain in force in accordance with legal principle and procedure.”

Samdech Techo’s Cabinet regrets that the well-known Phnom Penh Post did not further clarify the clarification of Cabinet as the Cambodia Daily did on June 16-17, when it published a supplementary article headed “Government denies flouting ban on concession”.

The Cabinet of Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen views the publication of an article without legal and procedural basis as deliberate defamation.

Ho Sithy
Chief of the Prime Minister’s Cabinet
Send letters to: [email protected]

The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length. The views expressed above are solely the author’s and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on