Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Clarification from The Royal Palace

Clarification from The Royal Palace

Clarification from The Royal Palace

120802_16

A motorbike passes by a roadblock set up in front of the Royal Palace. The roadblock has been in place since June. Photograph: William Kelly

Royal Palace
Phnom Penh, July 31, 2012

Clarification of article: No plan to end Palace road block

Please be informed that based on the article in The Phnom Penh Post in both the Khmer and English newspapers issued respectively on July 26 and July 30, I would like to make a clarification to the publisher that due to the traffic congestion and the high speed caused by all types of vehicles, the Ministry of Royal Palace made a proposal to the Phnom Penh City Hall to take the prohibition of traffic along the stretch of road in front of the Royal Palace into consideration.

Those speeding vehicles caused disturbances for guests visiting the King and both domestic and international tourists being entertained at the garden and visiting the Royal Palace, which is the prestigious heritage of Cambodians.

Sometimes the speeding motorcycle and car drivers use that stretch as a race track, causing traffic accidents, injuries and death as well.

The Ministry of Royal Palace didn’t send a written letter stating “the noise pollution from the vehicles at day and night causes disturbance for the king” to Heng Chan Theary, the municipal director of the traffic office.

The Ministry of the Royal Palace is renovating its roofs which are in a dilapidated condition, so we called for an interim closure of the stretch of road in front of the Royal Place so as not to affect the traffic there.

The closure of the road is not because of “the noise pollution from the vehicles at day and night causes disturbance for the King”, as was said in The Phnom Penh Post, because we have many pedestrians walking happily on the stretch of road and at the garden without the disturbance from the vehicles.

Kong Sam Ol,
The Minister of The Royal Palace
Send letters to: [email protected]
The views expressed above are solely the author’s and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on