Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Clash accused will appeal

Clash accused will appeal

Riot police and civilians in a violent clash on the Kbal Thnal overpass in Phnom Penh in September
Riot police and civilians in a violent clash on the Kbal Thnal overpass in Phnom Penh in September. Pha Lina

Clash accused will appeal

The lone man still facing jail time on charges of intentional violence and damaging property during a violent September clash between police and demonstrators at Phnom Penh’s Kbal Thnal overpass will appeal his conviction.

Nguyen Thydoc, 21 was sentenced to three years in prison on Friday, but his sentence was reduced to one year, with more than five months of that sentence already served. The rest of the so-called Kbal Thnal six, free on bail since October, saw their charges dropped or were handed sentences that amounted to time served.

Long Samoeun, 28, and Van Nin, 40, were convicted and sentenced to three years, but their sentences were reduced to 25 days. Charges against Ek Channoeun, 17, Song Nisay, 21, and Tang Chunse, 19, were dropped.

“I am very upset that the court sentenced [Thydoc] to such a harsh punishment,” said Chum Doeu, Thydoc’s boss at a construction company, who was with him the night of his arrest. “I don’t believe Thydoc would commit the crime he was convicted of, because he is very gentle and docile.”

Police set up a roadblock at the Kbal Thnal overpass on the first night of a three-day Cambodia National Rescue Party demonstration held from September 15 to 17. In court, Doeu said that Thydoc was driving the truck in which she was a passenger and had only got out of the truck to see what the traffic holdup was.

Police subsequently arrested him, believing he was one of the people throwing rocks and damaging property as the scene near the roadblock intensified. The eventual crackdown saw a man shot dead when police fired live ammunition into the crowd.

At his February 17 trial, Thydoc testified that his confession had been coerced, saying he only confessed to throwing rocks because the police interrogating him had shocked him with electric batons. Thydoc is the only defendant of the six who did not received bail.

During the trial two weeks ago, none of about 30 witnesses for the prosecution – all police – who took the stand could identify any of the six defendants. None of the police who testified for the prosecution said they knew which police department made the arrests.

Other defendants expressed relief when Friday’s verdict came out.

“I am over the moon that the court decided to acquit charges against me,” said Nisay.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SEAN TEEHAN

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Government deports 235 Chinese scammers

    THE Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior on Thursday deported 235 Chinese nationals, 35 of whom were female, via the Phnom Penh International Airport for their part in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam. The deportees were arrested on November 26 over the

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • International buyers snap up new locally produced watch

    A Cambodian entrepreneur has launched a stylish high-end watch, hoping to promote the Khmer creative talent and increase demand for the Kingdom’s products abroad. Designer Seth Pitu launched his brand PU a mere 60 days ago, and hopes to combine traditional Khmer art with sleek