Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Clinic aids families cut off by flooding



Clinic aids families cut off by flooding

Clinic aids families cut off by flooding

Families driven from their homes in Banteay Meanchey province by flooding can now receive nearby healthcare, after a clinic opened near an evacuation area over the weekend.

The makeshift clinic, set up by the provincial government, makes available medicine and care to about 100 families living in the elevated Ra Market evacuation area, Banteay Meanchey Governor Try Narin said yesterday. Many of those living there can’t make it past flooded roads to receive care elsewhere.

“We prepared the health clinic in the evacuation area to take care of flood victims there so they do not need to travel far,” Narin said. Some are suffering from fevers, dizziness and other symptoms likely caused by poor sanitary conditions the dirty floodwater created, he added.

More than 500 families have left their homes since storms in Thailand began overwhelming the Mekong River, leaving several border towns submerged under chest-deep water. Seven deaths occurred across Poipet, Sisophon, Svay Chek and Thma Puok districts, National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM) chief Keo Vy confirmed earlier this week.

Of the 500 who left their homes, about 100 are staying in the temporary shelters near Ra Market.

Without the clinic, children who have become ill would have to make do with no proper treatment, said Lim Sophal, 50, who brought his daughter there to treat her fever.

“Small children would like to swim in the floodwater, so they might come down with a fever and diarrhoea, like my daughter,” Sophal said. “Luckily, the health clinic is near our evacuation area, so she is fine.”

NGOs, including the World Health Organisation and World Vision, are currently waiting for NCDM and Ministry of Health officials to notify them of what specific aid is needed, officials from the organisations said.

Water levels are expected to rise further in the next week, due to an anticipated low-pressure system from Typhoon Utor in the South China Sea, according to a letter issued yesterday by Lim Kean Hor, minister of Water Resources and Meteorology.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman