​Clock ticks on city's offer to Chroy Changvar protesters | Phnom Penh Post

Clock ticks on city's offer to Chroy Changvar protesters

National

Publication date
19 September 2016 | 06:36 ICT

Reporter : Touch Sokha

More Topic

A Chroy Changvar community representative speaks through a megaphone earlier this month during a protest against OCIC at the Ministry of Land Management.

Chroy Changvar residents affected by the development of a planned satellite city project must accept a City Hall proposal that would see them retain just 10 percent of the land they claim or risk losing everything, according to a letter issued last week.

A September 14 missive informed villagers they had two months to collect cards from authorities showing they had land on the peninsula and giving them claim to retain one-tenth of it.

Past the deadline, City Hall said it will not be responsible for land lost when the developer Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation begins construction on the project.

City spokesman Mean Chanyada yesterday said the offer was part of their policy, which includes a proposed $15 per hectare, adding that the villagers involved had knowingly occupied state-owned land. “When they bought the land, they knew it belonged to the state and was prohibited for sale,” he said.

Villager representative Chea Sophat said the offer was unacceptable and that they would seek clarification from the Land Management Ministry after the Pchum Ben holidays.

Contact PhnomPenh Post for full article

SR Digital Media
#41 St 228, Phum 4 Sangkat Boeng Rang, Khan Doun Penh, Phnom Penh Cambodia

Tel: Celcard: 078 555 166/ 078 555 133
Smart: 086 822 999 / 086 277 999

Copyright © All rights reserved, The Phnom Penh Post