Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Closed firm still pocketing salary from Cambodian workers

Closed firm still pocketing salary from Cambodian workers

Closed firm still pocketing salary from Cambodian workers

120815_05

Mao Pheak (R) talks about his experiences as a trafficked fisherman on a Fijian vessel during a press conference yesterday in Phnom Penh. He was repatriated to Cambodia earlier this month. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

Mao Pheak (R) talks about his experiences as a trafficked fisherman on a Fijian vessel during a press conference yesterday in Phnom Penh. He was repatriated to Cambodia earlier this month. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

T & P, the notorious labour recruitment firm that was closed down last year because of its appalling record of abuse scandals, is continuing to receive and pocket remittances from maids stranded in Malaysia, a coalition of rights groups told a press conference yesterday.

At the conference, hosted by Coordination of Action Research on AIDS & Mobility, executive director Ya Navuth said the number of complaints filed against T & P and Giant Ocean International, which mysteriously shut down in February, had skyrocketed this year.

“We wonder why those companies sent workers to Singapore, China, Fiji, Mauritius and South Africa like this, because the government only allowed [them to send] to Thailand, Korea and Malaysia,” he said.

Navuth said the families of migrant workers had filed 56 complaints against T & P and 46 against Giant Ocean International in the first six months of this year, a seven-fold increase compared with the same period in 2011.

He also called on the Ministry of Labour to distribute the US$100,000 deposit the firms were required to pay for their licences to recruit workers.

Pung Chhiv Kek, chairwoman of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women, said that though T & P was shut down in October, the firm continued to deposit remittances intended for workers’ families into a bank account.

“Some of the workers in Malaysia told us they continued to send money,” she said, adding the families never saw a cent.

Kek said nothing was known about where T & P’s bank account was and urged authorities to help stop the defunct firm from continuing to profit from exploitation.

Chiv Phally, deputy director of the Ministry of Interior’s anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection department, said the Ministry of Labour was responsible for seeing that victims were compensated.

Ho Vuthy, deputy director-general at the Ministry of Labour’s department of labour, declined to comment and secretary of state Oum Mean could not be reached.

Two men who were trafficked onto fishing boats after registering with Giant Ocean International agonisingly detailed the all-too-familiar stories of their ordeals at sea.

Bursting into tears and unable to sit still, 32-year-old Mao Pheak explained how he had ended up on a fishing boat in Fiji for more than a year after being promised a job in Japan.

“I was beaten sometimes. I could not eat food for one or two days. And lastly, I could not get my salary,” he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Sen David at [email protected]
David Boyle at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • ‘No more Khmer Rouge leaders left to stand trial’

    Friday's verdict in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan has been hailed as “historic” for “Cambodia and all humanity”, while Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said no further cases of its kind would be brought to court. “There are

  • Hun Sen slams opposition lawyer for ‘incompetence’

    A defence lawyer for the opposition on Wednesday defended their “legalism” after Prime Minister Hun Sen slammed them as “incompetent” and “unqualified”, telling them to listen to and analyse what he said before making statements about a “bet”. Once again on Wednesday Hun Sen spoke

  • Chinese driver attacked after damaging vehicles

    Villagers in Sihanoukville’s Commune 4 on Saturday attacked a Chinese man for causing an accident involving two cars and many motorcycles, while the suspect tried to escape. Preah Sihanouk provincial traffic office director Prom Pov identified the suspect as “Zhear Ming Luy”, 16. The suspect hit