Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cluster bombs kill two in 2015



Cluster bombs kill two in 2015

A sign marks a partially unearthed cluster munition earlier this year. Kimberley McCosker/Handicap International
A sign marks a partially unearthed cluster munition earlier this year. Kimberley McCosker/Handicap International

Cluster bombs kill two in 2015

Two people died in Cambodia from cluster munitions last year according to a report released yesterday, though local NGOs say the Kingdom’s figures could be much higher.

According to the Cluster Munition Monitor 2016 report, Cambodia remains among the most contaminated countries in the world. The report said at least 4,644 submunitions – the smaller explosives inside of cluster bombs – had been destroyed in Cambodia last year, with an estimated 22 square kilometres of battlefield cleared.

Handicap International Cambodia program manager Kimberley McCosker said it was difficult to discern whether a death was caused specifically by a cluster munition, meaning casualties were often attributed to an “explosive remnant of war” instead.

“In reality, it is generally expected that the number of deaths and injuries is much, much higher than these official statistics say,” she said, adding there were 80 deaths from explosive remnants last year.

Cluster Munitions Coalition campaigner Tun Channareth, who lost a leg to an explosive, appealed to the government to sign the 2008 convention to ban the bombs.

“I have six children, I don’t want them or the next generation . . . to live with this.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year