Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAA: Thirty killed or disabled by UXO this year



CMAA: Thirty killed or disabled by UXO this year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority said at least 30 people have been killed or disabled by unexploded ordnance (UXO) this year. Supplied

CMAA: Thirty killed or disabled by UXO this year

At least 30 people have been killed or disabled by unexploded ordnance (UXO) this year, a 76 per cent increase on the same period last year.

The incidents happened during the grabbing of forest land, illegal wildlife hunting, unauthorised logging and attempted UXO disposal.

“From January 1 to March 16, this year, a total of 30 people were killed or disabled."

“From March 12-16 there were five incidents – two in Oddar Meanchey province and one in Battambang, Ratanakkiri and Tbong Khmum provinces respectively, with seven victims in total, three of whom were killed and four disabled,” said a press release by the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) dated Friday and obtained by The Post on Monday.

Prime Minister Hun Sen, who is CMAA president, called on people to reduce the risk of them becoming the next UXO victim, the press release added.

“Immediately report to the police, your guardians, local authorities or the CMAC [Cambodian Mine Action Centre] unit that is nearest to you about mines or unexploded ordnance that you have found, and absolutely avoid touching them."

“Do not use heavy machinery to clear forest land or farmland that is covered with mines, UXO left from the war and cluster bombs that have not been cleared, which can be particularly dangerous,” Hun Sen said.

Senior minister and CMAA vice-president Ly Thuch spoke to villagers in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Yadav district on Monday at an event to raise UXO awareness.

He said authorities must strengthen the enforcement of the law on the management of weapons, explosives and ammunition to the strictest level, and requested people educate each other and refrain from interfering with the disposal and processing of mines and explosive remnants of war.

“Otherwise, it could cause incidents at any time. People must report [UXO finds] to the relevant authorities – be it the village or commune chief, the police or the UXO disposal experts nearest to you, so that they can collect and destroy them,” Thuch said.

CMAC director-general Heng Ratana could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Ny Nhor, Victim Assistance Department deputy director at CMAA, said on Monday that the increase in UXO incidents was concerning. There were 17 victims in the same period of 2018, he said.

The 30 victims this year represents an increase of more than 76 per cent.

He said most serious UXO incidents involving people occurred during dry season, while in rainy season they usually damaged ploughing machinery or caused minor injuries.

“Civil society and the government have been cooperating closely on this issue, especially with regard to education, raising awareness and introducing other measures,” Nhor said.

He said that between 1979 and November last year, 64,771 people fell victim to mines and UXO, with 20,000 killed and more than 40,000 disabled.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,