Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC destroys more than 36,000 mines, UXOs in 2019




CMAC destroys more than 36,000 mines, UXOs in 2019

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Cambodian Mine Action Centre removed some 36,000 landmines from 67 sq km of land this year. Cmac’s facebook page

CMAC destroys more than 36,000 mines, UXOs in 2019

Throughout this year, the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) had detected and destroyed more than 36,000 mines and unexploded ordnance (UXOs) on nearly 6,700ha of mine-contaminated land across 487 locations in the Kingdom.

The government also vowed to clear mines completely by 2025, said a CMAC report released on Wednesday.

CMAC director-general Heng Ratana said the organisation managed to detect and destroy a total of 36,515 mines and UXOs on 66.967sq km (nearly 6,700ha) of land. Of these, 5,415 were anti-personnel mines, 75 anti-tank mines, 15 improvised mines and 30,660 UXOs.

Around 371,200 signs were installed to demarcate mine-contaminated lands in response to 3,144 Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) calls.

“The results of mine clearance activities this year have benefited 40,850 families directly and more than 50,000 indirectly, accounting to nearly one million people,” he said.

However, Ratana noted that the number of implemented mine action plans this year had decreased by eight per cent compared to last year, which saw up to 82 per cent of plans on 110sq km of land fulfilled.

More than 75sq km was also cleared last year, which is greater than this year’s 67sq km.

The decline was said to have been caused by a change in mine-clearance plans and forces to make way for research in mine-hazard areas.

“We increased research and installed signs to mark mine-contaminated areas on nearly 900ha. Through the UN Development Programme’s (UNDP) Clearing for Results project, we have launched research studies in 386 villages in Pailin, Battambang and Banteay Meanchey provinces.

“We have also detected mine-contaminated areas in 622 locations, covering 96.287sq km,” he said.

Besides clearing mines and UXOs, CMAC had conducted a total of 11,230 visits to various areas in the Kingdom to spread awareness on the dangers of mines and remnants of war and to seek aid to support mine victims.

Ratana said CMAC had also contributed to the development of physical infrastructures in mine-threatened areas and the enhancement of skills and capacities of the authorities, especially the Infantry command, in mine action response.

“This year, we trained more than 300 volunteer officials from the National Police and more than 300 from the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces in mine clearance procedures.

“Our unit, with the support of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) and Japan International Cooperation System (Jics), also trained specialists from Iraq, Iran, Colombia and Laos. A total of 115 participants attended the training,” he said.

Last month, the government in accordance with the Mine Ban Treaty, recommitted to clearing mine-contaminated lands across the Kingdom by 2025. To achieve this goal, CMAC called for support from international communities and the government itself.

At present, some 2,100sq km remained threatened by mines and UXOs.

Since 1992, Japan has been at the forefront of countries that consistently provided aid for mine clearance work in Cambodia. Others are the US, South Korea and China.

China had recently provided CMAC with $2.5 million to support mine clearance activities from 2020-2023 in Preah Vihear, Oddar Meanchey and Stung Teng provinces.

This aid will also be used to support mine-intervention forces in Siem Reap, Kampong Chhnang and Kampong Thom provinces, in line with plans to clear mines on more than 17sq km.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,