Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC eyes budget bump of $13 million

CMAC eyes budget bump of $13 million

Cambodian Mine Action Centre personnel demine land in Battambang province in 2009
Cambodian Mine Action Centre personnel demine land in Battambang province in 2009. Heng Chivoan

CMAC eyes budget bump of $13 million

The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) is looking to increase its annual budget to $33 million this year amid a need to upgrade its life-saving equipment, an official said yesterday.

Approximately $10 million has already been raised, according to CMAC director Heng Ratana, who expressed confidence the goal was attainable.

“We need new equipment and equipment support packages every three to four years for this kind of work, but we’re confident that our goal will be reached,” he said yesterday, adding that the budget was “far from a dream” thanks to ongoing negotiations with development partners.

CMAC’s annual budget for 2012 and 2013 was roughly $20 million each year, including equipment, he added.

Japan, Britain and the US were the primary foreign donors involved in the Kingdom’s demining efforts, Ratana said.

Millions of pieces of unexploded ordnance (UXO) were planted during Cambodia’s civil war three decades ago, a violent legacy that still yields grisly accidents.

Last week, three children in Kampong Chhnang were killed after discovering an unexploded rocket while herding cattle.

UXO has killed nearly 20,000 people – many of them villagers in the Kingdom’s north and northwestern provinces – since 1979.

According to research by the Cambodian Mine Victim Information System, Oddar Meanchey, Banteay Meanchey and Preah Vihear remain high-risk provinces, with Battambang recording the highest number of mine casualties in 2013.

UXO killed a total of 22 people last year, down from 43 in 2012, according to figures released by the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority last week.

MOST VIEWED

  • No more Africa travel ban but new rules for arrivals

    The Ministry of Health has decided to lift the ban on travellers from or who have travelled through 10 African countries and instead issued a set of standard operating procedures to manage passenger arrivals at Cambodia’s international airports. The 10 African countries are Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho,

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • PM blasts Vietnam general over Covid claims

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on December 6 expressed dismay after Vietnamese general Hoang Xuan Chien, formerly in charge of Vietnam’s border defences, claimed that Cambodia was a source of Covid-19 transmissions to the country. Speaking at the opening ceremony for National Road 11 connecting Prey Veng