Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CMAC removes China UXO found in Battambang



CMAC removes China UXO found in Battambang

CMAC officials search for two unexploded ordnances on Wednesday in Battambang province.
CMAC officials search for two unexploded ordnances on Wednesday in Battambang province. Photo supplied

CMAC removes China UXO found in Battambang

A Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) team of experts yesterday successfully removed two unexploded anti-tank mines discovered by rat hunters in Battambang province on Wednesday, police said.

Song Sopheak, police chief in Phnom Proek district, said the hunters discovered the mines while digging a hole on their farmland in Buor commune.

“Both mines are anti-tank mines,” he said. “They are legacies of the war between the Phnom Penh government troops and Khmer Rouge troops during 1980s.”

CMAC yesterday dispatched a team of experts to clear the mines, and transported them to the provincial CMAC Unit 2 location.

Sun Samphors, leader of the CMAC mobile team based in Battambang province, said that removing the mines had been an especially dangerous task because they could have easily exploded, given that they were stacked on top of each other and were only 40 centimetres underground.

“Both mines are [TM-46] anti-tank mines made in China,” he added.

Most of the unexploded ordnance found along the Cambodia-Thailand border was made in China and Russia, Samphors said.

Meanwhile, the US Embassy on Wednesday announced it has opened the bidding process for a one-year grant worth $2 million to survey and clear unexploded ordnance in eastern Cambodia for the 2018-2019 fiscal year.

There’s a possibility that the grant could be extended for a second year, according to the embassy’s announcement.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through