Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNN stands by report on child prostitution in Svay Pak

CNN stands by report on child prostitution in Svay Pak

Union of Journalist Federations of Cambodia Director Huy Vannak (centre) speaks to the press on Thursday with Interior Ministry officials about a CNN report on child prostitution
Union of Journalist Federations of Cambodia Director Huy Vannak (centre) speaks to the press on Thursday with Interior Ministry officials about a CNN report on child prostitution

CNN stands by report on child prostitution in Svay Pak

US news outlet CNN has rejected claims it peddled false news about Cambodian child sex trafficking in a recent television segment, with a spokesperson yesterday saying that “we stand by our reporting”.

The Ministry of Interior’s Anti-Human Trafficking Department on Friday said it would investigate Christian anti-trafficking organisation Agape International Missions, accusing it of fabricating the story in order to raise funds.

The announcement was made in the wake of a CNN story that retraced the steps of women rescued and supported by AIM who were interviewed for a 2013 documentary. The report, initially given the online headline The Cambodian girls sold for sex by their mothers, featured ethnic Vietnamese women, and the headline was later changed.

“The stories revisit our original investigation from 2013 and clearly highlight the progress that has been made since by the authorities in Cambodia,” a CNN spokesperson said yesterday. “We stand by our reporting.”

The report noted the positive steps that had been taken in the once-notorious Svay Pak, with AIM’s Eric Meldrum telling CNN that “police are doing a good job”. The NGO has previously been praised by the anti-trafficking office for their assistance.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will