Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP activist questioned




CNRP activist questioned

Political activist and CNRP supporter Ouk Pich Samnang
Political activist and CNRP supporter Ouk Pich Samnang arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday where he was to face questioning over his involvement in a violent protest last year. Hong Menea

CNRP activist questioned

An opposition activist questioned yesterday over allegations that he participated in an “insurrection” last year has claimed his innocence, saying he “did nothing” but was abused by security guards anyway.

San Kim Heng, one of 11 activists and lawmakers of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, was questioned throughout yesterday over his alleged role in a protest near the capital’s Freedom Park that turned violent on July 15.

Judge Lim Makaron grilled Kim Heng at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, inquiring about his motives and actions on that day, including why he went to a location closed by the government and what he did while participating in the demonstration.

“I just joined, I did nothing,” Kim Heng said. “As one of the people, I just asked to have Freedom Park opened.”

Additionally, he told the court that he was beaten two or three times by security personnel at the scene while he was helping an old lady who was pulled from her motorbike.

“I saw security guards tearing [protest signs], and when people told them to stop, they beat the people,” he continued.

Makaron asked whether Kim Heng had fought back against the security guards, and the activist maintained that he only used his hands to push back the guards and had no weapons on him at the time.

Deputy prosecutor Keo Socheat then asked him if he had witnessed any CNRP lawmakers giving speeches on the day of the demonstration.

Kim Heng denied seeing any speeches, claiming that he had heard rallying cries from the distance and that any speeches were over by the time he had arrived at the protest.

Accompanied by his lawyer, Choung Choungy, CNRP Information Department head Meach Sovannara, who also appeared in court but was not questioned yesterday, told reporters after the session that he was dissatisfied with the drawn-out nature of the proceedings.

“[We], the accused, are upset. Such a trial is a waste of time,” he said. “My passport was confiscated, so going abroad is impossible. We are sad that we have not gotten freedom yet.”

Still, Sovannara said he would remain patient. He called on leaders of the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, as well as CNRP members, to fully engage in the “culture of dialogue” between the two parties and resolve the case speedily.

Choungy echoed his client’s sentiment.

“It affects the rights of my clients, and my aim as a lawyer is to finish this case, because when it is concluded, all my client’s rights are guaranteed,” he said.

The trial of the 11 CNRP members has been postponed until June 3.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped