Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP again points to National Assembly return



CNRP again points to National Assembly return

Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmakers attend a parliamentary session at the National Assembly late last year. Facebook
Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmakers attend a parliamentary session at the National Assembly late last year. Facebook

CNRP again points to National Assembly return

After months of boycotting the National Assembly, the Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmakers will join an Assembly plenary session on November 20, opposition chief whip Son Chhay said yesterday.

Chhay stopped short of announcing an end to the boycott – instituted in May as a protest against alleged state-backed legal harassment of the party – but said the meeting’s agenda, which will cover the 2017 budget, demanded the CNRP’s input.

“Generally, we will have a look at agendas,” Chhay said, discussing the party’s selective boycott approach, which he said will prioritise “important” issues.

The party had vowed to attend a plenary session in October, but pulled out at the last minute citing safety concerns.

At the time, insiders told the Post that Prime Minister Hun Sen had allegedly sent text messages to CNRP leader Kem Sokha threatening “bloodshed” in response to planned protests in Australia against his son, Hun Manet.

Chhay said the party would now move to summon six ministers to the parliament to answer questions about problems within their portfolios, including the ministers for defence, justice, health, agriculture, mines and energy and the interior.

“We want to have questioning [of ministers] every week,” Chhay said, adding that he had already prepared questions.

Noting the Cambodian People’s Party majority, ruling party spokesman Sok Eysan said the CNRP’s attendance was irrelevant. “If they join or don’t join, it’s their business,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting