Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP councillor in Prey Sar prison

CNRP councillor in Prey Sar prison

CNRP councillor in Prey Sar prison

A Cambodia National Rescue Party councillor jailed for his alleged role in a violent protest in July at Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park was visited yesterday by his family and a fellow opposition member, as the party called for his release.

Mak Choub, a CNRP member in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district, said that 48-year-old Sum Puthy, a commune councillor in Chbar Ampov district, has been held in poor conditions at the capital’s Prey Sar prison since his arrest on Monday.

“Puthy slept overnight without a pillow, blanket or mosquito net. It’s a hard life for him,” he told the Post.

According to Choub, Puthy told him that he was charged with “acting against public officers and inciting people to cause violence.”

“He was stopped on his motorbike [on Monday] and police asked him to go inside the car and showed the arrest warrant to him,” he added.

But other CNRP officials and lawyers said the official charges against Puthy were still unknown.

At least 15 CNRP members or supporters have been charged in connection with July’s violence, which saw security guards attacked by mobs after they moved to crack down on previously peaceful protesters.

In a statement released yesterday, the CNRP condemned the latest arrest and called for Puthy’s release.

“The CNRP would like to appeal for his release immediately without condition and all forms of threats against CNRP must be stopped,” the statement says.

Another CNRP member, Khin Chamroeun, attended court yesterday for questioning over his alleged role in the violence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will