Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP decries court’s decision to try Sokha



CNRP decries court’s decision to try Sokha

Deputy CNRP leader Kem Sokha talks to supporters at the party's headquarters in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Photo supplied
Deputy CNRP leader Kem Sokha talks to supporters at the party's headquarters in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Photo supplied

CNRP decries court’s decision to try Sokha

The Cambodia National Rescue Party yesterday slammed the decision to send a case against acting party president Kem Sokha to trial, calling the court a political tool that had “abused the constitution”.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating judge Than Leng decided on Tuesday that a charge for “refusal to appear” levied against Sokha on May 26 should go to trial, though a date has yet to be set.

In a statement yesterday, the party demanded the court drop the case, which concerns the opposition leader’s decision to not appear for questioning as part of a “prostitution” case against him connected to an alleged affair with a hairdresser.

“Members of parliament for the [CNRP] can absolutely not accept the decision of the prosecutor and investigating judge of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, who have charged and sent His Excellency Kem Sokha’s [case] . . . to trial without suspending his parliamentary immunity beforehand,” the statement reads.

“The court’s charge is unreasonable according to the law . . . this is just a pretext to provoke and burden the Cambodia National Rescue Party.”

Cambodian People’s Party spokesman Sok Eysan, however, rejected the widely held belief that the case was politically motivated.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year