Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP exploiting coup anniversary: royalist

CNRP exploiting coup anniversary: royalist

CNRP exploiting coup anniversary: royalist

As opposition leaders marked the anniversary of the 1997 coup on the weekend, the royalist Funcinpec party lashed out, criticising the Cambodia National Rescue Party for exploiting a tragedy for political benefit.

Funcinpec secretary-general Nhek Bun Chhay, who commanded the royalist forces of Prince Norodom Ranariddh against Cambodian People’s Party troops led by Hun Sen, said the event was held to “seek political gain”.

“That’s why we hold this ceremony during Pchum Ben and Khmer New Year, because [the spirit] of individuals who died will come to find their relatives [at that time of year],” he said. “Some [politicians] have said we do not dare to hold this ceremony on July 5 to 6 because we are afraid of the Cambodian People’s Party, but [the CPP] has never banned us.”

Yem Ponharith, CNRP lawmaker-elect, said the Sam Rainsy Party held the ceremony for years before the CNRP was founded in 2012.

“We had no intention to seek [political] gains. We only thought about the loyalty of the soldiers who were patriots and struggle to chase the yuon out of Cambodia,” he said, using a term for Vietnamese some consider derogatory.

At the event on Saturday in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district, CNRP deputy leader Kem Sokha used the platform to announce the establishment of a “documentation centre” to investigate “crimes” perpetrated by the ruling CPP, without referencing exact incidents.

“Why do we need to create this centre? Because we know the strategy of dictators.” The centre would be based in an as yet undetermined country, he added, in order to protect the records from destruction.

“I have already contacted some Khmers and foreign friends to arrange this centre to store evidence of the crimes of the current power . . . and to make sure that your commitment has not been forgotten.

“[Your actions] have been noted; they are only waiting for [Hun Sen’s] appearance at the International Criminal Court,” he said.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan could not be reached, and National Assembly spokesman Chheang Vun declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.